Our EICS Faith & Wellness Consultant , Mr. Paul Corrigan, coordinates the Division's religious education and health and life skills programs. Paul works closely with religious leaders, students, staff, and families to ensure EICS is providing quality, Catholic education.
Paul Corrigan, Division Principal, Faith & Wellness Formation
Mission... At the heart of catechesis we find, in essence, a person, the Person of Jesus of Nazareth, "the only son of the Father... full of grace and truth," who suffered and died for us and who now, after rising, is living with us forever.
We must therefore say that, in catechesis, it is Christ, the Incarnate Word and Son of God, who was taught -- everything else is taught with reference to him -- and it is Christ alone, who teaches... (Apostolic Exhortation Catechesis Tradendae, p. 8-10)
What is our Religious Education Program about?
Each of us working in Catholic schools is called to be Christ's spokesperson, enabling Him to be present through us! The role of the Religious Education Consultant is to support all the stakeholders in our school division to fulfill this mission. In Catholic schools we work together with the family and parish to help young people mature into Disciples of Christ.
For someone who is new to the Catholic school system, an understandable question is what makes the schools Catholic? There is much that distinguishes Catholic schools, which students and their families can readily observe. The Religion Handbook below will provide you with answers.
Religious Education Classes
All students at Madonna Catholic are required to participate and study Catholicism. Religious education is an essential part of Catholic schools. Schools support the home and family in the faith development of children.
Each grade level has a particular study area that has been approved for study by the Catholic Bishops. Supplementary materials are also supply and used in the classroom that have been approved by the Division Religious Consultant, Alene Mutala
Specifics of what is taught in each religion program can be found in our EICS Division Handbook, found here and as well as Alberta Education Documentation found at the links below
Dimensions of Catholic schools
- Teachers strive to integrate their faith with their teaching and interactions with everyone.
- A faith conviction that each child and person's dignity comes from being created in the image of God, is promoted throughout Catholic schools.
- Our school Division's vision statement of "Seeing Christ in Everyone" challenges us to embrace every person as someone of immense worth and potential.
- The Biblical values of respect for the common good and justice for all are guiding principles that those working in our schools are encouraged to adopt.
- Teachers work towards giving witness to their Christian faith by sharing their faith journeys and leading students in prayer and a life directed to the needs of those who are oppressed or destitute.
- God, who we meet most fully in Christ, is proclaimed in word and deed according to the ability of each person working in our division to do so.
- Schools actively work at connecting with the parishes by attending mass at the church or having parish priests visit the schools.
- Many of the schools support the sacramental preparation done at home and through the parishes by having retreats on the themes related to reconciliation and confirmation.
- All of our schools examine how they can improve the way they live out and give expression to their Catholic identity.
- We see our homes, schools, and parishes as interconnected entities working together to teach, live, and celebrate the good news of Jesus Christ.
- The school system, then, needs the children enrolled in our schools and their families to support the Catholic values, beliefs and activities mentioned in this document.
- Our publicly funded Catholic schools are an immense treasure: they support our children on their faith journeys and help their families and parishes lead them with and to Christ.
- We hope you find this information useful! As always, please feel free to contact me or the Division Consultant anytime!